It is the soul that matters

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

26th, the terror.....................................

26th of July- It seemed like a normal day when I woke up that morning. I left for office. I was busy with my office work. Somewhere in the afternoon, I decided to take a break and move out. It was raining very heavily then. I couldn't even manage to go across the road. The torrential rains were accompanied with ferocious winds. So, i decided to go back to the office.

I love the rains. Like a kid, I wanted to get wet in the rains. I thought I will enjoy the rains in the evening while going back home. But I realized it later, I just couldn't go home that evening. The roads were all flooded and there was no way I could have reached home. So I decided to spend the night in the office, which I did. 70% of the staff stayed in the office that night. We surfed and found out that this was all because of high tide and heavy rains occuring simultaneously. Heavy rains were forecasted for the next two days also.

Next morning, I and a friend took a public bus and reached home with no problem. There was no water, no electricity at home. Phones were not working. There was no mineral water available in the shops. Later that evening, electricity resumed. The first thing I did was to switch on the TV and started a news channel. Only then did I realize how bad the situation was. People were dying. There was so much damage occuring to their houses, their belongings, their loved ones.

"Landslides kill many." "People washed away in the forceful water." "Many electrocuted." "Many missing." "Houses washed away." "Many die in their cars because of suffocation." These were the kind of news, which we got to hear. It was all so so scary. People had seen dead bodies floating in water. Many saw the lower level of their buildings fully washed away.

My fast paced Mumbai had suddenly come to a standstill. Mumbaikars were never frightened of the rains. But now, they were. They were not ready to move out of their houses. Fear could be seen on the faces of fearless Mumbaikars. But their spirit was still noteworthy. They helped whomever and however they could. Many were stuck in traffic for hours together without any food and water. Local residents helped them with buscuits, some snacks and water. Many saved lives. Hats off to my Mumbai...................

Its been a week now and the situation has still not improved for many. Many places still don't have any electricity, water, or food. They are blaming the government saying that they are not providing them with any help. But people are trying to help others in whatever possible way.

"I love the rains. I love the rains. I love the rains." I used to say this always. But now I ask myself "Do I still love the rains?", which has taken life of so many fellow beings..................

Posted by Nats :: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 :: 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------